I offer a variety of Skills Training Groups and Workshops. I have received advanced training in DBT and worked within this frame for more than 10 years. While currently my work with individuals is mostly within psychodynamic frame, I recognize the value and the need for people to learn skills that would allow them to better identify and manage their emotions, control their impulses, handle difficult life events, improve their ability to interact effectively with others and gain a greater ability to make positive rather than self-destructive choices in their lives. While the Skills group is not a classic supportive group and in some ways is similar to a class where members learn skills to enhance their lives, there is an important and therapeutic element of warmth and comfort in the group and a sense of belongingness.
I offer :
- DBT skills group for adults who are currently in treatment with an individual therapist
I offer :
- DBT-based skills groups and workshops that I specifically created for people dealing with specific stressors in life, such as :
- Divorce and Break up
- Parenting Young Children
To be a part of these groups you do not have to be in individual therapy.
- Each group consists of 3-8 participants. Each session is 60 minutes.
- It is a semi-open group with admission occurring at the beginning of each skills module.
- Each group module that you sign up for will last for 6 weeks.
- Each module will focus on a group of skills from one of the four groups of skills. Mindfulness will be integrated into each module in some way.
Skills training consists of four modules:
Core Mindfulness – to learn how to be fully present in the “here and now” with a nonjudgmental stance on reality and self. That is crucial for decreasing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Distress Tolerance – to develop the ability to tolerate and decrease distress when it cannot be entirely avoided or removed.
Emotion Regulation – to regulate your affective levels and to learn how to experience and express emotions without fear, shame, anxiety or rage.
Interpersonal effectiveness – to learn how to effectively express your needs and to improve interpersonal relationship with others.
To Join A Skills Group please contact me to discuss your needs.